[OSM-dev] Export of GPX data ("planet.gpx")

Lars Francke lars.francke at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:32:03 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 10:55, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> On 05/12/09 01:27, Lars Francke wrote:
>
>> The easiest for now would be to just throw all the GPX files that are
>> marked as Identifiable or Public in a compressed file and add a file
>> with (XML?) metadata about those traces.
>
> Actually I said tar for a reason, to avoid trying to compress the archive
> which will just waste CPU time without achieving much as the traces
> themselves are already compressed.

Thanks for the note! Didn't know they were already compressed.

>> Tom said that we'd lose 25% of all GPX files this way (they are either
>> Private or Trackable) but it would be the easiest option for now. In a
>> second step we could use the GPS-point data from the database to write
>> custom GPX-files that comply with the visibility settings.
>
> The specific counts currently are:
>
>  private - 116458
>  trackable - 5410
>  public - 324558
>  identifiable - 13855

Thanks again for those numbers.

Looking at the visibility settings again, I've got a question about
the Trackable and Private settings.
What about the tags for those? I guess those will be private too as
someone could use personal stuff there.

Lars