[OSM-dev] XAPI queries for tags that include a pipe, vbar or vertical bar

David Calder davidjcalder at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:21:22 GMT 2009

Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me. I'm using Tagwatch to find and tidy up
the route_ref=* values where a pipe symbol or vbar (i.e. Unicode character
U+007C) has been used as a delimeter. See this page for example:
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Great_britain/En/ignored_route_ref.html

The query for a semicolon delimited value is (for example):
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/osmxapi/*[route_ref=171;172;178]
which works fine.

However, the query for a pipe delimited value is (for example):
http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/osmxapi/*[route_ref=46|46A]
which returns the data for values that match 46 OR 46A but not "46|46A". I
know that this is the correct functionality as defined in the API spec but
how do I write the query so that it finds "46|46A". Do I need to escape the
character (and if so, how?) or do I need to encode it somehow (and if so,
how?)

Many thanks,
David