[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:55:00 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 16:20, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> There are requests in JOSM's trac to improve the handling of API
>> errors.  To do that JOSM needs to get a better understanding on what
>> is wrong with the data.
>>
>> Currently, JOSM is parsing the error strings the API is returning.
>> This is far from ideal because they are not structured, not documented
>> and might change without warning.
>>
>> To improve things I would like to see the API extended to return meta
>> data about errors (error type, id of offending element, ...) in a
>> structured way.  There are a couple of ways to that (that came to my
>> mind):
>>
>> - change the Error header
>> - add home-made HTTP headers (X-Error-Type ...)
>> - add pseudo headers to the body
>> - return a XML document containing all the info
>>
>> (see also http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2544)
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> How important is that to people on the receiving end (application
>> developers)?
>>

> On a related note, I would be very interested in seeing a progress of some
> kind being returned when doing a osmChange upload. I realize that it is
> difficult (because it could fail after spitting out lots of seemingly valid
> IDs), but if it was documented it would be doable.

You mean showing upload progress in JOSM as opposed to the current
cylon impression? That could be implemented by counting the number of
bytes of the osmChange request that have been successfully sent over
the wire. That's how upload progress bars are usually implemented.

Obviously the upload could fail but that's another issue.