[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Karl Guggisberg karl.guggisberg at guggis.ch
Thu Dec 10 17:25:55 GMT 2009

> You mean showing upload progress in JOSM as opposed to the current cylon impression? That could be implemented by counting the number
> of bytes of the osmChange request that have been successfully sent over the wire. That's how upload progress bars are usually implemented.

It's not the upload or download which takes most of the time but the processing on the server.
Uploading an osmChange has three phases:

1. upload the osmChange document   -  can take some time, we could give feedback information based on the bytes sent, but can be neglected compared to phase 2
2. process on the server - this takes most of the time, no feedback here
3. download the diffResult - can be neglected compared to phase 2. Again, we could give feedback based on the bytes read from the server, but it's not worth the effort

Actually, I implemented something based on the approach Avar proposes but I wasn't satisfied and didn't check it in.

Regards
Karl