[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Dec 10 18:07:38 GMT 2009

On 10/12/09 17:39, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

>> 2. process on the server - this takes most of the time, no feedback here
>
> Yup, PostgreSQL can't tell you where it's at in the query:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Query_progress_indication

Um... It's not like it's a single query. It will be thousands of
individual queries each of which will, on their own, complete virtually
instantaneously.

On top of all that there is time parsing the XML, time running other
ruby code to validate things, etc, etc.

Basically, even if sending a streaming response from rails was possible
(which I'm not sure it is - it's certainly hard) there is no simple way
to measure progress.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)