[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Fri Dec 11 17:05:12 GMT 2009

Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> writes:

> Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Basically, even if sending a streaming response from rails was
>> possible (which I'm not sure it is - it's certainly hard)
>
> You can do it using render :text=>proc, as amf_controller does. But I
> suspect this would be non-trivial to work into the existing XML API.

The API could also return an URL which the client can poll to get the
status for an upload.

This would also avoid issues with client timeouts.

Currently, when the client hits a timeout and aborts the connection it
has no way of knowing whether the upload succeeded or not.  For new
data this creates duplicates when the user tries to upload again.

Matthias