[OSM-dev] Structured error messages from API

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:15:52 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Actually, I was just now creating a stub page for API 0.7 brainstorming:
> >
> >  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.7
> >
> > Remember, it's a brainstorm: all ideas are good ideas at this point...
> ;-).
>
> cool! although i'd consider "verified users / locked tags" to be an
> anti-feature ;-)

Yea, I suppose that requires some discussion. The idea arose from a meeting
I recently attended with some US city government GIS people that have
expressed interest in maintaining (at least part of) their official GIS
database in OpenStreetMap. Their number one fear/concern is an OSM editor
changing the "official" boundary of a state forest, pulling that change back
to do cartography for a hunting season (for example), and then having a land
owner call them up asking why people are hunting on their land.

They suggested the ability to lock certain layers or ways with certain tags
so that they can exist in the OSM database but not be changed. I pointed out
that for this specific example, OSM probably doesn't really want official
boundary data anyway, since it's not "on the ground".

The second part of that suggestion probably should be a separate line:
locked tags is slang for "a way to maintain a globally unique ID" for a
certain map feature. They want to be able to pull their data back out of OSM
based on certain keys, and when I pointed out that anyone could add or
remove the tags they apply to their data, they suggested that we maintain a
UUID for every map feature.