[OSM-dev] Changeset files (was Removing Minutely and Hourly Changesets)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Dec 21 14:50:31 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
<avarab at gmail.com>wrote:

> Would anything break if these values were just cleaned up in the
> database so we don't have to deal with them in other tools in the
> future?

I can't see it breaking unless the cleanup causes a unique key violation (or
empty string?).  But I can't say I know.  It always could break something
which was relying on broken behavior, but that's unavoidable.

Would you be deleting the characters altogether?  That seems to be what the
API does (http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/1325382), along
with quoting the valid ones (
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/2062776
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/1662850
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/966232).  Maybe that's what
the planet dumper should do in the mean time as well, so at least everything
(?) is consistent.

If you're going to clean up the db, then also put an integrity constraint on
it to help ensure they don't get back in there if there are other bugs in
the future.  Just k's and v's, right?  Also a tighter constraint on
display_name, which also disallows certain other characters (I don't know of
any db corruptions there yet, though).

Oh yeah, and member_role too.  Again, don't know of any current db
corruptions, but that should be constrained as well.