[OSM-dev] Massive building import - thoughts

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 17:56:17 GMT 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> I would imagine some complaints from those users who are not interested
>> in buildings, and for whom 90% of the data they download is useless
>> after the import. You might have to provide filtered extracts for them.
>
> What about a completely different server for houses; it is clear that
> houses have nothing to do with 'streetdata', can't be used for routing
> and such and is a great case to test if we can handle multiple
> datastores easily in OSM.

some crazy people do routing inside buildings!
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Inhouserouting.png :-)

otoh, there are many things which are not directly useful for routing
(e.g: lakes, forests, non-highway POIs) but are useful to have in OSM
anyway. houses, when appropriately tagged, are useful for geocoding
and visual navigation.

cheers,

matt