[OSM-dev] Rantings about API 0.6

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Feb 11 01:34:42 GMT 2009

Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>> Jokes aside, does your bulk importer also implement populating the
>> history tables, making sure that every node referenced by a way (and
>> every node/way/relation referenced by a relation) actually exists, and
>> all these totally useless integrity constraints?
>>

> I'm importing brand new data, so populating the history tables is no big deal.

Perhaps I've misunderstood you but populating the history tables is very
important.  The history tables are populated even if the entity is being
inserted for the first time.  In other words the history tables provide
a complete history of all data, the current tables are simply a snapshot
containing the latest version of data that also exists in history
tables.  The osmosis replication providing daily/hourly and minute
updates doesn't look at the current tables, it only looks at history
tables.  Therefore if you want your data to show up in mapnik,
tiles at home, etc you had better populate them.

Brett