[OSM-dev] Rantings about API 0.6

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed Feb 11 02:32:28 GMT 2009

Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Shaun McDonald escribió:
>
>> Having a slightly less efficient import that ensures consistency is a
>> great thing, as it means that the database doesn't grow too quickly.
>>

> I fail to see why slower growth is a good thing?

Slower (perhaps "steady" is a better word) growth has its advantages for
replication.  Osmosis data extraction is fairly efficient and can
extract data many times faster than it is currently added, but
downstream systems can't always process it fast enough.  So while it
would be great to be able to import data faster, there probably should
be an upper limit to import speed allow downstream systems to keep up.

Brett