[OSM-dev] Rantings about API 0.6

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Wed Feb 11 08:51:29 GMT 2009

On 11 Feb 2009, at 01:36, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El Miércoles, 11 de Febrero de 2009, Shaun McDonald escribió:
>> Having a slightly less efficient import that ensures consistency is a
>> great thing, as it means that the database doesn't grow too quickly.
>
> I fail to see why slower growth is a good thing?

See Brett's excellent answer. Steady growth is a much better way to
say it.

>> Remember that we are are using transactions with 0.6.....
>> We really do want to make sure there are too many validations, so
>> that
>> we know that the data is correct in the database, rather than some
>> weird inconsistency getting in.
>
> Nah, we'll still have Potlach :-D

I've been busy trying to fix the server Potlatch code so that it in
many cases the corruption will no longer occur, as it is now doing it
in a similar way to the XML api, or also incorporating it into a
transaction. It also makes the code a bit simpler with less duplication.

Shaun