[OSM-dev] road data in zoom levels

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:56:21 GMT 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:39:07 +0100, Patrik Sjöberg <patrik.sjoberg at bth.se>
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What would be the best way to get data for ways at a specific zoom
> level? I would like all roads visible on zoom 5 for instance, possibly
> with lower resolution (fewer nodes per way). I'm guessing something
> like http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/way[highway=*] but the
> API's only seem suitable for quite small boxes.

I will make the way-simplification of the LODDataSet in the
Traveling Salesman -navigator into an osmosis-plugin soon.
http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/travelingsales/

We use it to combine split ways (like long motorways or coartlines)
and then simplify them to contain fewer nodes.
The resulting ways are stored for rendering low zoom-levels
(a city, state, country or continent) in realtime while the
user is driving.

Marcus