[OSM-dev] road data in zoom levels

Patrik Sjöberg patrik.sjoberg at bth.se
Wed Feb 11 13:51:06 GMT 2009

On 11 feb 2009, at 13.42, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> On 11 Feb 2009, at 12:14, 80n wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Patrik Sjöberg <patrik.sjoberg at bth.se
>> > wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> What would be the best way to get data for ways at a specific zoom
>> level? I would like all roads visible on zoom 5 for instance,
>> possibly
>
> There is currently no predefined method for this. Each style will
> have a different set of things at each zoom level, so you will need
> to manually work out what you want.

So the only way to go is to use the planet then?

>> with lower resolution (fewer nodes per way). I'm guessing something
>> like http://www.informationfreeway.org/api/0.5/way[highway=*] but the
>> API's only seem suitable for quite small boxes.
>
> You will also need to do the reduction in resolution yourself.
>

>> The extended API might be what you are looking for: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/XAPI
>
> This will be useful for you if you are looking for small amounts of
> data. You don't say what you are trying to do with the data.

We are developing a distributed simulations system of sorts and for
the visualization software we have a simple model of the earth. We
want some roads for simulated vehicles to run on. We only need a small
subset so far but preferably a global one. Maybe there are other,
smaller datasets more suited to our current needs out there. Any
suggestions?

>> We're also trying to import the planet file to our own copy of the
>> database with osmosis. We have some quite new 8-core Mac Pro's here
>> for development but osmosis 0.30 is compiled with java version that
>> does not seem to be available on osx yet so we are trying on some old
>> server instead. Would osmosis benefit enough from multicores that it
>> would be strongly recommended to dedicate a Mac Pro (by booting in
>> windows) for the parsing? Do you have any feeling of how long the
>> import will take? We experimented with some simple ruby and sqlite
>> and
>> calculated the time required to like 3 months ^^
>

> You can't easily compile osmosis on Mac OS X, however you can run
> osmosis on Mac OS X without problems if you set the Java Preferences
> to use Java 6 instead of Java 5. (I'm assuming that you have the
> latest version of Mac OS X 10.5 installed, and you have all the
> updates.)

Thank you! Completely missed that =)
Osmosis doesn't seem to benefit much from the extra power though.

Patrik