[OSM-dev] Ponderings about an improved tagging scheme

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Feb 20 08:40:42 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:18:04AM +0000, G H S wrote:
> What Steve has proposed is what I would have expected.  I can already see adding a "natural" type, so I added a quick one to his page.

Objekts in the real world can't neatly be categorized into types. The
world is much more complicated than this. So OSM has a different
approach: We just have attributes of objects called tags. Tags tell you
*something about* an object, but they don't tell you what it *is*.
Or, if you want to, you can see it this way: The sum of all the tags on
an object is the type.

Jochen