[OSM-dev] collecting translations of driving-instructions

Stefan Breunig stefan at mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Feb 25 13:16:52 GMT 2009

I wanted to post this on the discussion page, but Wiki seems down.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to work this into a real
suggestion but I think it's a good idea to collect translations. But
it's probably better to only ask once the "basic" suggestion has
matured enough so translations more or less follow reasonable
guidelines. I hope you have a fixed font, otherwise my drawings won't
work. If they don't post it into the wiki and hit preview :)

Greetings
xeen

>From my head, the suggestion misses:
* Drive straight on (% = main road)

 %%%---
   %
   %
* Turn left then *immediately* turn right (% main road; * where you
are and want to go to)
       *

   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

           *
* Please mind the speed limit
* Mind the tram (if crossing tram lines)
* Distance "field" missing: e.g. Turn right in 5 km / 500 m / now
(whereas now probably needs to be a special one)
* On highways, when they split (i.e. left two lanes goto Erbach and
rightmost one to Michelstadt): "<A 123> Richtung <Michelstadt> nehmen,
dazu <rechts> halten". No idea how that'd sound in English (it says:
Follow A 123 to Michelstadt. To do so, drive on the right side)
* Same when entering highways: "in 500 m rechts auf A 123 Richtung
Köln abbiegen" (in 500 m turn right onto A 123 to Köln)
* Special sentences when saying the street name are required, too
(e.g. Turn right to Alexanderstraße)
* when driving on the main road and there's nothing going to happen
for the next 20 km the software could say this, e.g. "Dem <123 km>
Straßenverlauf folgen" (or "follow main road for <123 km>"). This way
the driver knows nothing is going to happen and that the navi isn't
broken.
* Some sentences are way too long, e.g. the roundabout ones. We can
certainly cut <please> here, clean instructions are preferable over
blabla anyway. In German this works well with "Im Kreisverkehr, die 2.
Abfahrt nehmen". No idea about English though.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:56,  <marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I started the page:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Sample_driving_instructions
>
> to collect translations of driving-instructions for all the
> routing and navigation -programs in OpenStreetMap to use.
> It is clear that not every project has developers speaking
> every language, so we may as well collect a pool of translations.
>
> I tried to give the pages an easy to parse structure,
> so that a simple script can extract the translations and
> build the .properties, .po or whatever files the individual
> program uses.
>
> Marcus

Please encrypt your mail:
http://mathphys.fsk.uni-heidelberg.de/~stefan/publickey.asc
FP: 2620 E737 FD50 60AB 86B6 1B9D 3BFD AFFB 5B15 6893