[OSM-dev] Osmosis crashing due to lack of memory

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 11:44:13 GMT 2009

Hi,

I have been trying to play with the planet file and extract
information out of it. However, it crashed on me with an out of memory
memory regarding heap space.
I used the following command:
osmosis --read-xml file="planet-090218.osm" enableDateParsing="no"
--way-key-value
keyValueList="highway.motorway,highway.motorway_link,highway.trunk,highway.trunk_link,highway.primary,highway.primary_link,highway.secondary,highway.tertiary,highway.unclassified,highway.road,highway.residential,highway.living_street,highway.service,highway.track,highway.pedestrian,highway.bus_guideway,highway.path,highway.cycleway,highway.footway,highway.bridleway,highway.byway,highway.steps,highway.toll_booth,highway.ford,cycleway.lane,cycleway.track,cycleway.opposite_lane,opposite_track,cycleway.opposite,tracktype.grade1,tracktype.grade2,tracktype.grade3,tracktype.grade4,tracktype.grade5,waterway.stream,waterway.river,waterway.riverbank,waterway.canal,waterway.dock,waterway.weir,waterway.dam"
--used-node --migrate --write-xml-0.6
file="E:\world\dump\roads\roads.osm"

I would love to avoid as much as possible to break the planet into
bounding boxes, for the sake of simplicity initially. Maybe it is
unrealistic but I would like to keep it that way.
I am using the planet file uncompressed with osmosis 0.30.
Is there something I can do? Spending hours and then seeing your task
crashing is pretty disheartening.
Also, is there a way to use multicore efficiently? I have looked at
the pages but I didn't see any convincing number. I was thinking of
maybe of getting the file to be read in one drive and writing to the
other one, therefore avoiding the IO hit of reading and writing at the
same time on the same drive.

Thanks a lot,
Emilie Laffray