[OSM-dev] Osmosis crashing due to lack of memory

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:15:44 GMT 2009

Hello,

> In osmosis.bat is the following line...
> REM # JAVACMD_OPTIONS - The options to append to the java command, typically
> used to modify jvm settings such as max memory.
>
> so, either modify osmosis.bat or, create a new file called osmosis.bat in
> the all users profile directory or your profile directory, to include a 'set
> JAVACMD_OPTIONS = -Xmx1024M' line (to set maximum memory usage to 1GB, if
> you have enough RAM)...

I have modified my batch file to make sure that I am launching the
application with 1GB of ram. I guess I have to wait now for a few
hours to see if it will work.

> Using a gzipped planet input and gzipped output may be quicker if your
> facing an IO bottleneck... the compression and decompression will use more
> CPU, but, significantly reduce the IO...

In this case, it is clearly obvious that I am CPU bound. One core of
the CPU is clearly maxing out and the other is not used. I was just
trying to think of a way of speeding up the entire process. The hard
drive that I am using is a standard Sata drive and I have another one
if needed connected on a different controller. I have a dual core
processor. I am just trying to be as smart as possible in order to
optimize the long times.

Thank you for your help,
Emilie Laffray