[OSM-dev] UID and username in API0.6

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 14:18:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/5  <marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com>:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6&section=14#Reliably_identifying_users
>
> Do uid and username have to be present for uploads?
> I am currently specifying a file-format not primarily
> intended for editors and would like to know if I can
> loose this info and still allow for small changes to
> be uploaded.

The API will ignore timestamp/uid/username if present, and use the
current time and logged in user. The version number of the object is
needed to verify you're editing the latest edit.

So yes, you can safely drop the user (and timestamps), and as long as
you keep the version number it can still be used to make edits.

Dave