[OSM-dev] How is Mapnik Performances ?

Roberto Navoni r.navoni at radionav.it
Tue Jan 6 00:58:16 GMT 2009

Jon Burgess ha scritto:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 20:46 +0000, Roberto Navoni wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have a question for OSM-Developer ;)
>> So I'm trying mapnik for render italian OSM planet , but the performance
>> on my sandbox is not so god . I'm using an old one hp laptop that use
>> Ubuntu 8.04 as SO and as hardware use P4 3 Ghz 1 GByte of ram . I see
>> that actualy are rendering only two  tile for second.  I'm usining
>> postgress 8.3 as db. Are there some optimization for speed up the render
>> time.
>> How many mapnik i can start on a single cpu ? The performance is better ?
>>

> Are you using generate_tiles.py for rendering your tiles?

Yes I use generate tiles
> Is the web server under your control or are you serving static files via
> a 3rd party web host?

I'm doing some test on my server ... I have complete control on it , I'm
using Ubuntu 8.04 as Operating systems ..
> The main tile.openstreetmap.org server uses mod_tile[1] which uses
> several optimisation tricks to improve the performance but you can only
> get the full benefit of this if you can install a custom Apache module.

Ok ... now  I try It.
> - multithreaded rendering (should exploit improve efficiency if you have
> hyperthreading in your CPU).
> - rendering and storing tiles in "meta-tiles" (8x8 at once).
> - rendering on-demand, avoiding the need to pre-render lots of tiles
>
> If you can't install the Apache module then the mod_tile render daemon
> can be used standalone with the speedtest & convert_meta tools to
> generate a tree containing plain PNG files for uploading to a 3rd party
> web host. I can provide more details if you are interested in this.
>
> Last time I benchmarked the tile.openstreetmap.org server it was
> rendering approximately 600 tiles/s using 2 x dual core Opteron CPUs.
>

> The osm.xml file has got significantly more complex since I did those
> tests so the numbers are probably a bit slower now. Even so, your P4
> should manage more than 10 times your current performance.

Strange .. is possible that there're some problem on db configuration ?
With top I see the cpu usage by thread and i see that postgress using 15
% of cpu and mapnik use only 12% of cpu ... is possible that there're
some setting to change on postgress or on mapnik ?