[OSM-dev] database history

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Tue Jan 6 07:54:02 GMT 2009

On 6 Jan 2009, at 04:15, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2009/1/6 D Tucny <d at tucny.com>
> 2009/1/6 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> I was looking on the history of this way:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/23322317/history
>
> and found, that the first 3 are completely the same (beside that the
> first entry and No. 2 and 3 have a different created by-tag), or am
> I missing something? Is this a case that can be found more often?
>
> If you have a look at the nodes in the way, some of them changed
> position... If I recall correctly, potlatch, the online editor save
> a new version of the way, and potentially all nodes within it, if
> any part of the way is modified... In this case, only changes to
> node positions occurred between the second and third versions being
> saved...
> Specifically, this node http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/node/252528351/history

> ah, now I understand. Is this behaviour still in the actual
> versions? It creates lots of history-data for ways that didn't
> change (just for moving 1 node the whole way is resaved, which
> itself doesn't even differ, imagine this for a big way with some
> hundred nodes).

I was thinking the other day that it might be nice to update the
history page on the site [1] so that it gives more information about
changes that occured, i.e. colouring new tags green, showing deleted
tags crossed out, that sort of thing. I might have a go at doing that
sometime unless someone else was planning on it. What do people think
about this idea?

John

1 - http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/23322317/history