[OSM-dev] Rendering differences between own installation of mod_tile+mapnik vs. *.tile.openstreetmap.org

Ilkka Kaakkola ilkka.kaakkola at saunalahti.fi
Thu Jan 8 12:08:21 GMT 2009

Hi, I'm wondering what is done differently on the (a|b|
c).tile.openstreetmap.org server compared to my own installation,
regarding world boundaries & coastlines & especially lakes on high
(larger scale) zoom levels.

Below is a few links to screenshots detailing what I mean, the tile on
the left is created by my installation of OSM + Mapnik + mod_tile +
rendered , the tile on the right is the same tile from OSM server (http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/6/37/18.png
)

My setup is using data downloaded recently (osm.xml , mapnik,
world_boundaries, processed_p, Planet.osm) and osm.xml has not been
customized for the first two example images (other than paths &
database logins). Files have been downloaded from the places described
at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapnik

Why is my version of the map lacking lots of detail (the big lake,
coastline detail, scattered little bodies of water) that is visible in
the osm generated image?

http://xe.nic.fi/~xenic/tile_problem.png

If I zoom in enough, I do eventually get the lake visible in my
rendering (again left is my installation, right is tile.osm.org): http://xe.nic.fi/~xenic/tile_zoomed.png

Now, I tried fiddling with osm.xml to view processed_p (the more
detailed information that does contain the lake) data on higher zoom
levels, but I end up with a nasty grid covering the image:
<Style name="coast-poly">
<Rule>
<MaxScaleDenominator>2500000000</MaxScaleDenominator>
<PolygonSymbolizer>
<CssParameter name="fill">#f2efe9</CssParameter>
</PolygonSymbolizer>
</Rule>
</Style>

results in this:
http://xe.nic.fi/~xenic/tile_grid.png

the visible Grid seems to be made up of actual lines within the data,
as changing the style to:

<Style name="coast-poly">
<Rule>
<MaxScaleDenominator>2500000000</MaxScaleDenominator>
<PolygonSymbolizer>
<CssParameter name="fill">#f2efe9</CssParameter>
</PolygonSymbolizer>
<LineSymbolizer>
<CssParameter name="stroke">black</CssParameter>
<CssParameter name="stroke-width">0.2</CssParameter>
</LineSymbolizer>
</Rule>
</Style>

results in this:
http://xe.nic.fi/~xenic/tile_grid_black.png

The same effect can also be seen at (for example) http://www.opencyclemap.org/
  , If you zoom into a global view of Finland and then change the Base
Layer from the top-right corner to something else than OSM Cycle Map
the various lakes disappear.

Any help / ideas to get the Mapnik rendering to match that of
OpenStreetMap.org would be appreciated.

Cheers, Xenic