[OSM-dev] API 0.6 and changeset tags

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 00:52:59 GMT 2009

Based on changesets on the testing API, all 3 of the major editors (as
well as "MapEdit.Net PreAlpha") all use created_by.
JOSM currently doesn't provide a version number, Merkaartor and potlatch do.

I think we should go ahead and standardise a changeset tagging scheme
- we now have the opportunity to expand the number of tags used since
it won't pollute the main database and to change the tag names, if
deemed appropriate.

The suggestions made look good so far.
I'd also propose adding a tag for bot edits...

Easy access list of changesets on the public testing server -
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/browse/

2009/1/11 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> Hi,
>
>    for 0.6 editing, JOSM will stop adding "created_by" tags to
> individual objects (and might even remove existing ones, subject to
> discussion) because I consider this unecessary database pollution.
> Instead, the software and version will be available from the changeset
> tags. I assume that other editors will behave likewise?
>
> Does anyone want to suggest a set of tags for the changeset? The API
> wiki page uses, in an example, "created_by=JOSM 1.61". I am slightly in
> favour of doing something like
>
> client=JOSM
> client-version=1234
>
> For JOSM, I also intend to add something like "client-plugins=a,b,c,d"
> where the installed plugins are listed but that's subject to discussion
> (may be deemed to invade user's privacy because everyone can then see
> what plugins he's using).
>
> Have Potlatch and Markaartor made any decisions on changeset tagging
> yet? If someone has spent any thoughts on this then I'll just follow in
> their steps rather than do something new.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --

Regards,