[OSM-dev] new fixme-like check for keepright.ipax.at and alike

Eddy Petrișor eddy.petrisor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:26:04 GMT 2009

2009/1/16 Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org>:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 02:12:18AM +0200, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
>> In Romania there are many streets with name='tbd' which was probably
>> done in order to help in finding those streets later in an SQL query, or
>> something similar.
>>
>> I don't know how often this is used in other parts of the map, but I
>> suspect this used in other places, too.
>>

>> I think it would be a good idea to add one or two checks that would be
>> similar to the 'fixme'-s: for name='tbd' or ref='tbd'.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Please, please, do not use this convention. If there is no name or no

I didn't say *I* used it. I always tell people to use the fixme key,
or the note key.

> ref thats enough to know that something might be missing. If one uses
> 'fixme' and the next one uses 'tbd' and the next 'missig' and the next
> one uses 'unknown' as "special values", the map will be full of strange
> names and nobody will be able to find anything!

I agree, this proposal was made in order to easily locate such ways through
the validators, and hopefully kill them. There are *many* such values for the
name anf ref tags, so I would like them removed, or at least changed into
fixme-s. Still I can't do much about people which come and add them.

--
Regards,
EddyP