[OSM-dev] openstreetmap could start at user's approximate location using geo-ip

Sam Watkins swatkins at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 18 03:15:35 GMT 2009

hi,

I had an idea just a small thing, that when you first go to the
openstreetmap.org site it would be nice if it would check your IP
address using some geo-ip system and go to that location (zoomed out at
world height) for a start, instead of always starting near england /
europe.  Has this been proposed before?  I'd be happy to help implement
that I guess it would be an easy thing to do.

Thanks to all who contribute to this amazing project!

Sam