[OSM-dev] mapping quality program version 2.0 published

Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu
Tue Jan 20 10:33:18 GMT 2009

Nicolas Guillaumin wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     It looks interesting and maybe even useful, but since I can't
>     understand what the options and buttons mean, it doesn't
>     look like I/we could use this tool. Is there a chance you could
>     convince people to translate this in English?
>

> +1 :-)

Guys: It's hardly their problem to translate it into English - it's up
to us all (if we reckon it looks interesting(*)) to join up to their
project (if they accept outsiders(**)) and contribute translations into
French, English, Spanish etc.

(*) I agree, it does look interesting.
(**) Outsiders who understand enough German of course!

Meanwhile, I had a PM pointing out
http://www.itoworld.com/static/osmmapper  which does quite a bit of what
I was going on about (assuming you're in Europe). However, though it can
send you an RSS feed about changes in "your" area of the map, it can't
spot GPS tracks that drop points into "your" area, nor can it be used as
a "bug reporting" tool where somebody using OSM maps on (say) an in-car
GPS navigator unit discovers some mistake in "your" area.

IMHO, we could really use both of those facilities, if they existed.
Some other thread recently was mentioning the lack of a good
bug-reporting tool (bugs in the maps, not the OSM software I mean).

Congratulations to itoworld for at least partially tackling the issues
though.
Steve.