[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Handling of towns with different or alternative names

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Jan 28 01:52:16 GMT 2009

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>>> In what way does Potlatch "screw up the uniqueness", please?
>> http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/24644162/history
>
> does not even begin to be an answer. It could be caused by the bleeding
> phase of the moon for all that tells me. I was hoping, perhaps
> optimistically, you might actually back up your accusation with some
> _research_.

Hey; I am just fixing the mess I see when I import a planet, everything
that breaks has in planet duplicate nodes, with created by Potlatch
tags. And if you look in the history you even see better what goes wrong.

Update way process:

---> create way in mysql
---> add nodes to way
---> add tags to way

Now how does this thing actually go?

---> add tags to existing way
---> add nodes to existing way
---> create way in mysql

This results to the 'old' way to have extra tags, where there *IS*
deduplication on node members, the new way have no body. And a badass
export that only exports the way with body to the planet. Because of
some interesting diff way I guess that ignores empty ways?

What could possibly have caused this? My bet:

"that use intermediate layers to access the API"

Stefan