[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Handling of towns with different or alternative names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:00:41 GMT 2009

2009/1/28 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>

> FWIW, my experience is that data inconsistencies of this sort happen mostly
> when the server is under very heavy load. If a process is killed halfway
> through a write operation, then obviously you're going to get some sort of
> inconsistency. You can order the operations so that this is less likely (cf
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/changeset/13184/), but as has been said here
> extensively, this kind of stuff is always going to happen without
> transactions.

but this is a big problem as the server is quite often under heavy load.
Isn't it possible to transfer lets say to a temporary place, and when the
transaction is completed, tell the server to copy from temp to real? Is
there any feedback the server gives to the client, whether a save operation
was succesful?

Martin