[OSM-dev] Tuning PostgreSQL for on-the-fly SVG map rendering?

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:34:01 GMT 2009

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:26:43 +0100, Ivo Brodien <philotas at cs.tu-berlin.de>
wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
>> I am wondering. What are you using the rendered images for?
>
> I want to build some sort of SVG(-T) map-server for mobile clients.

Do you really assume your clients to be connected to the
net with a stable and low-latency connection all the time?
(Lab-environment or outdoor? wlan or umts?)
I guess you did consider local rendering of vector data before
settling for server-generated svg-images?

(I just want to make sure you are heading in the right direction.
 Every successfull project is nice, every one that is abadoned later
 for real-world usability is not.)

Marcus