[OSM-dev] API 0.6: Changeset Access

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 01:06:56 GMT 2009

On 1/28/09, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> Is the bounding box info updated within the same transaction as entity
> updates or can it be updated asynchronously with a separate daemon?  I
> remember discussions about bbox updates only occurring occasionally (ie.
> the bbox is made slightly larger than necessary to avoid large numbers
> of writes) but I'm fairly sure they're updated synchronous at the same
> time as the entity causing the update, at least I hope so.

bounding box info is updated in the same transaction as the entity. as
you say, the bbox is over-expanded to avoid having to write each time.
but, because of the restrictions on the member count, the changeset
ends up needing to be updated every time anyway, rendering the
previous optimisation pointless :-)

the existing implementation is deliberately naive, which could hurt
the performance of diff uploads, but there is scope for optimisation
later on without changing the API.

cheers,

matt