[OSM-dev] problem with changesets and bulk_upload.py

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 04:30:37 BST 2009

[Sorry for the duplicate, seems like I hit Reply instead of Reply to all]

2009/7/6 Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com>:
> Recently uploaded the Arabic names for all countries. Rather than updating
> the existing nodes as expected, it created new nodes.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1707270
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1725949
>
> I used bulk_upload.py, processing an osmChange file, with all the nodes
> wrapped inside a "modify" tag.
>
> Does this not work as expected??! How should it be done?
>
> Once the proper method is sorted out, I'll delete these duplicate nodes.

It looks like the script only accepts osm files, not osmChange files,
but doesn't check if the file format is correct.  So if there's no
action="modify" tag on a node it assumes create.

That said, right now you can download the xml for the changeset (or
could) and do s/create/delete/ to remove the nodes.  Soon someone will
manually delete one of the nodes or add/remove a tag and you'll get
conflicts, so waiting for something when dealing with a global
changeset like this only brings you more work resolving conflicts.

Cheers