[OSM-dev] Using translatewiki for translations

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:17:03 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Richard Fairhurst<richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Potlatch uses the OSM wiki for localisation. I have no plans to change this
> in favour of a third-party solution.

Perhaps we should look into using translatewiki, OpenLayers is already using it:

  http://translatewiki.net
  http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:OpenLayers/stats/trunk

The software itself is just a MediaWiki extension:

  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate

How it works is that you write a driver for it so that it can
read-write your in/output, here's the driver for OpenLayers for
example:

  http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/Translate/ffs/OpenLayers.php?revision=51180&view=markup

Then you run a job periodically which dumps the translations & imports
them into your project. Bidirectional syncing is also possible but
then you have to worry about merging.

They're already working on a YAML driver.

Once you're logged in you get a nice Launchpad-like interface for
translations. *I* think it's more tedious than just editing the YAML
in Emacs but then again it's not really targeting that demographic but
armature translators who'll be more familiar with a web interface