[OSM-dev] Street lines aren't rendering for me in my own Planet -> PostGIS -> mapnik map

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 00:31:38 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð
Bjarmason<avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there, I'm trying to set up my own rendering with mapnik but the
> resulting images/tiles don't show streets/polygons normally, see:
>
> The OSM map: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3713947443/
> My map: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarab/3714745132/
>
> And some tiles I generated with generate_tiles.py:
>
> http://openstreetmap.is/not-rendering-correctly/
>
> When you zoom in the streets are actually there, they just don't have
> their normal colored casing.
>
> This is what I did to import the database:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SlippyMap/Mapnik
>
> The database itself looks fine as far as I can tell, it has ways in
> that area at least:

Actually I get this in the pgsql error log:

2009-07-12 23:29:17 GMT ERROR:  function asbinary() does not exist at
character 8
2009-07-12 23:29:17 GMT HINT:  No function matches the given name and
argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
2009-07-12 23:29:17 GMT STATEMENT:  select asbinary() as
geom,"military","name","waterway","way_area" from
              (select way,amenity,military,way_area,waterway,name
               from planet_osm_polygon
               where name is not null
               order by z_order,way_area desc
              ) as text
               where  && setSRID('BOX3D(-2078059.694145257
9895070.006294288,-2073879.013716863
9898363.641982334)'::box3d,-1218672940)

That function exists in the gis DB:

gis=> \df asbinary
                     List of functions
 Schema |   Name   | Result data type | Argument data types
 public | asbinary | bytea            | geometry
 public | asbinary | bytea            | geometry, text
(2 rows)

But it's a bit odd, I'm getting roads-text, turning circles,
leisure=pitch, and some other small stuff, but nothing else basically.