[OSM-dev] [strange osm2pgsql behaviour?]

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:08:54 BST 2009

2009/7/13 Sergiusz Pawlowicz <sergiusz at pawlowicz.name>:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 08:44, Tom Hughes<tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>> On 13/07/09 07:16, Sergiusz Pawlowicz wrote:
>>
>>> hello, i have noticed a strange osm2pgsql behavior, when you import
>>> planet without a slim option, it does not create the same tables as
>>> with using --slim, which results you cannot apply any changes later -
>>> is it a bug?
>>
>> No, it's a feature. Incremental updates are only possible in slim mode.
>>
>> Basically the tables that are used by slim mode to store the data that would
>> otherwise be held in memory are the same tables that track the objects and
>> allow updates to be applied.
>
> Hi,
> Sorry, I am not talking about incremental updates, but about an
> initial, first load of the database.
>
> I can fully agree updates should be possible only in slim update.

Both modes create the tables required by the Mapnik rendering:
* planet_osm_point
* planet_osm_line
* planet_osm_roads
* planet_osm_polygon

The slim mode create the following additional tables which are not
required by the rendering and are used during the import and for
applying incremental diffs:
* planet_osm_nodes
* planet_osm_ways
* planet_osm_rels