[OSM-dev] broken utf8 in minute changeset 200907140650

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:30:36 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 13:56 -0700, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Further to the long-running Linux Flash Player brokenness, it would be very
> helpful for any Linux FP users to do this:
>
> 1. Go to http://www.systemeD.net/stuff/keycode.html
> 2. Type some non-ASCII characters into the top box (letters with accents,
> the sort of thing you might want to enter as an OSM tag value)
> 3. For each one, tell me what it returns in the next two boxes

The biggest issue seems to be with step 1. Using the compose sequence
for á (compose ' a) I get the following:

First box: á
Second: c3 a1
Third: C3 83 C2 A1

If however I use the "copy from outside and paste into box" method then
I see:

First: á
Second: e1
Third: C3 A1

----

Typing é:
1) é
2) c3 a9
3) C3 83 C2 A9

Pasting é:
1) é
2) e9
3) C3 A9

-----

Typing € (altGr 4)
1) €
2) 3 e2 201a ac
3) 03 C3 A2 E2 80 9A C2 AC

Pasting €
1) €
2) 20ac
3) E2 82 AC

This was with the 32 bit Shockwave Flash 10.0 r22 plugin installed from
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm in a 64bit Firefox 3.5 browser
on Fedora 11 (using the 32/64 bit nspluginwrapper).

	Jon