[OSM-dev] broken utf8 in minute changeset 200907140650

Steve Hosgood steve at tallyho.bc.nu
Wed Jul 15 10:05:28 BST 2009

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Steve Hosgood<steve at tallyho.bc.nu> wrote:
>
>> That's odd. I'm really sure that back in Potlatch 0.9x days (just before 1.0
>> came out) it was quite capable of taking letters like ô and ŷ entered with
>> the X-window 'compose' key. I live in Wales and need those characters (and
>> others) for streetnames all the time. But since 1.0 it's been broken, and
>> it's a PITA.
>>
>> I just didn't get around to reporting it (until now).
>>

> It's a regression in Flash itself, you probably just upgraded your
> flash player: http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-40

OK - thanks for that. I did indeed change my Flash player about that
time, I upgraded my whole system to Fedora 10 and ended up with Firefox
3.0.x instead of the Firefox 2.x that I'd been using before. Now - can I
get a flash player for 3.0.x that does the UTF-8 correctly I wonder?

<<reads link>> Hmm - a revert to flash player 9.0.48 might do it so it
seems. And some people claim it was broken even then...

Steve