[OSM-dev] Rendering of long street names for short streets

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Fri Jul 17 08:18:38 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:10:53AM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> in Taiwan we have the situation, that street names may be too long to be
> rendered on the map. In addition, we'd like to keep the map bilingual
> (Chinese, Romanized/English), which makes the names rendered on the map
> even longer. How can we give the renderer some hints how to abbreviate
> the street names properly in different zoom levels?
>
> Would it be possible to specify multiple alternative entries in the
> 'name' tag and the renderer picks whatever fits onto the map?

I guess a lot of countries have this requirement:

For example Germany has names like

	Annette-von-Droste-Hülshoff-Straße

which could be abbreviated down to

	A.-v.-D.-Hülshoff-Str.

or even

	AvD-Hülshoff-Str.

Putting explicit abbreviation onto all streets is a huge overkill.
I'd rather vote for a simple abbreviation dictionary in the svn
which is renderer agnostic. I am not shure on how to include
the abbreviation then as the renderer would need to chose the name
based on the space available.

The street name above does exist in nearly every town in Germany
so it makes sense to create the correct abbreviations once ...

Flo
Florian Lohoff                                         flo at rfc822.org
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little
          security shall soon have neither - Benjamin Franklin