[OSM-dev] Rendering of long street names for short streets

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 12:05:54 BST 2009

While we can create a common abbreviation dictionary for commonly
occuring words (like, Street -> St., Rue -> R., Saint -> St., East ->
E., Rio -> R.) and that this is something for the renderer, the
abbreviations for the proper noun parts of the names is arguably data
that is NOT for the renderer.

The renderer cannot possibly know (using whatever abbreviation
algorithm it has) that "Epifanio delos Santos Avenue" can be
abbreviated to "EDSA" (and note that the "Avenue" here is incorporated
into the acronym). Another example: the street in my country called
"Paseo de Roxas" is frequently abbreviated to "Paseo" (for example, a
shopping mall on that street is called "Paseo Center") which would
surprise any Spanish speaker who would expect the shortened form to be
"Roxas". Thus, these kinds of abbreviations should be in the database
itself and not in the renderer/namefinder.

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com