[OSM-dev] Coastlines and water - contact and technical

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 19 18:08:11 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 12:44 -0400, Ben Supnik wrote:
> Jon Burgess wrote:
>
> > - Relations with a name= tag. The Wiki says they should be entirely
> > untagged. If the osm2pgsql code saw even a name tag on the relation
> then
> > it would ignore the tags on the outer ring. The recent code now
> looks at
> > the outer ring tags even if the relation has a name (it seems the
> > editors are encouraging people to put name tags on the relation to
> make
> > them easier to identify).
>
> So to confirm:
>
> ... if a user incorrectly tries to make a lake by creating a
> multipolygon and putting the water-related attribute (e.g.
> landuse=water
> or natural=lake) on the relation and __not__ at least one outer
> polygon
>
> ... then pgsql will create a polygon without those water tags.

No. If the relation is tagged then the tags on the outer ways are
ignored. If the user puts all the relevant tags on the relation instead
of the outer ways then osm2pgsql is perfectly happy with that and should
do the right thing.

> (Basically I am trying to figure out how broken the raw data could be
> and still see blue in the map. :-)

If you have specific relation or way IDs then I can lookup how they have
been handled.

	Jon