[OSM-dev] Thoughts on an enhanced GPX api

Wed Jul 29 13:42:05 BST 2009

Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
>> but I agree with Frederik that
>> the GPS traces as they are now and not overly useful to me, I stopped
>> downloading existing traces and rely on my local ones instead.
>> Downloading a point cloud without being able to connect the dots isn't
>> that much of a help to me, most of the time.

> I'd like you to consider this particular piece of the earth.

Hey, I wasn't saying that GPS tracks are useless in all cases and in
sparsely populated areas they might be very useful indeed. But try
downloading GPS point clouds from the middle of any metropolis and make
sense of them. It's a bit like reading from tea leaves.

And no, I don't think the solution is to dropping those traces, but eg
being able to connect traces along a path rather than having a big cloud
of independent points would make them much more useful to me already.