[OSM-dev] Thoughts on an enhanced GPX api

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jul 29 15:21:11 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> (b) potlatch? You can't move the aerial-layer (AFAIK)

Yes you can - hold space and drag.

> you can't zoom in closely

Yes you can - up to zoom 19. If you need more than that for tracing then you
must have professional survey-grade GPS equipment and be walking very
carefully down the centreline of each road.

> and it takes ages to load just the mapdata

No it doesn't - it's on average faster than the equivalent .osm file for
first download, and faster still on subsequent pans because it doesn't
redownload already-loaded ways (unlike the map call).

If you try to edit central Karlsruhe at full-screen z13 on a 30in monitor,
then yes, of course it'll take ages. ;)

> not to talk about gpx-traces from the server

that loads a single trace from the server.

> so I really wouldn't recommend it to trace tracks.

Well, each to their own, but I've traced thousands upon thousands of miles
of GPS tracks using Potlatch. It's almost the core use case.

Potlatch also has a very competent function for directly converting a GPS
trace to a way, with in-built Douglas-Peucker simplification.

cheers
Richard