[OSM-dev] Thoughts on an enhanced GPX api

Thu Jul 30 08:41:13 BST 2009

David Earl wrote:
> 2009/7/29 Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at sspaeth.de>:
>> And no, I don't think the solution is to dropping those traces, but eg
>> being able to connect traces along a path rather than having a big cloud
>> of independent points would make them much more useful to me already.

> Isn't the point of the GPX traces not mainly to be able to make them
> available to other people to make sense of, but to
> (a) provide evidence of data source for possible copyright infringement
> accusations,
OK, but for that I don't need them in JOSM when mapping. And downloading
clouds of points is probably not of much use to a judge either :-).
("Mylord, see those spots that look like London having measles prove
that we didn't copy from google maps." :-) )
according to (a) others' traces would indeed be not useful for mapping then?

> (b) provide the trace for your own editing in Potlatch.
(b) might be true, I never used Potlatch with GPS data. Does it show all
points or only your own?

spaetz