[OSM-dev] osm.xml: r16190 mocks up XML parser/Mapnik?

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 30 19:21:29 BST 2009

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

>   The second bug is more subtle. The newly introduced whitespace
> seems, parsed in XML context, to result in something that Mapnik
> parses wrongly. From looking at SQL traces, the offender seems to be
> that Mapnik (0.5) correctly parses the source table name, creating
> this diff (comparison of PostgreSQL log files):

Mapnik 0.5.x indeed has an issue with multiline SQL, fixed in r862. This
might be what you're seeing with 0.5.

<http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/173>

>   Linking against Mapnik 0.6 resulted in about an empty image (only
> background, no SQL statements triggered, no C++ish exception...) I'll
> try to look into that soon. So it would probably be nice to not place
> a table name to the end of a line for some time...

Mapnik on tile.openstreetmap.org doesn't seem to have a problem with it.
Neither does my dev server. Which Mapnik revision did you compile?

On #mapnik, we've also been exploring the need to be able to define the
minimum Mapnik version/revision that will be able to parse all features
used in a stylesheet. I hope that, given that this multiline SQL vs
Mapnik 0.5.x has turned into a FAQ, this could be implemented sooner
rather than later. That would prevent further such issues in the future.

<http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/395>

--
Lennard