[OSM-dev] Creating 3-d connected network from ways + layer tag

Ben Supnik bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net
Thu Jul 30 20:00:35 BST 2009

Hi Y'all,

First: this discussion is a liiittle bit different from my original
intention (not that that's a bad thing).

I am trying to use the existing data and come up with a "best
interpretation".  Since I will use the entire planet file, manual
correction of persistent problems is not a short-term viable option. :-(

In particular, I expect both under-noding and over-noding.

Over-noding: a node connects two ways that cross at different altitudes
(as hinted by layer or bridge tags)...this happens in the TIGER imports
(since TIGER is topologically integrated before export) so unless users
have specifically fixed this, it'll be there...for every single overpass
and bridge in the United states. :-)

(Since Tiger doesn't include layer information I don't see how anyone
could have automatically fixed this...without layers you can't know
which nodes are "false".)

Under-noding: I don't know how much existing software will fail to
intersect two nodes...an artifact of my import is "fixing" all this
(which gives me the over-noded case, although I could easily detect this
by flagging nodes added by me at intersections).

Second: double-decker bridges I think open a bucket of worms:

- Do the two layers share the colocated nodes?  Is this even legal?
- How well do the editing programs let you manage such a beast?
- How well do the maps render it?

In Boston I see that the double-decker part of I-93 does not overlap
itself...in practice such a map would be pretty unreadable so it doesn't
surprise me that the data is how it is.

So far I think any candidate heuristic I have looked at for building a
3-d network from the data would manage a double-decker road in a
reasonably sane way.

cheers
Ben

Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/