[OSM-dev] Fwd: [OSM-newbies] Reverse geo coding

Michael Handerek osm at handerek.net
Mon Jun 15 10:15:08 BST 2009

Ok, I realized it that there are no guaranty of the completeness of
boundaries. Anyway, it is possible to build area geometries of
administratives in order to check if nodes belongs to or not.
Both methods have weaknesses, so in my opinion a combination of both is
the best way to get nearly proper results.
But how about the performance aspect?

I think to organize area geometries like this. The geometries should be
generated during the import of osm data. Additionally the geometries
should be grouped by continent, country and city in order to do a top to
bottom check. So, basically the search will be done in 3 steps.
Considering that administrative boundaries are not complete and doing
the search in combination with nearest continent/country/city-nodes, may
it will be faster use bounding boxes instead of more precisely bounding
areas.

Cheers, Mic