[OSM-dev] Missing ways on XAPI

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:16:21 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Steve Hosgood <steve at tallyho.bc.nu> wrote:

> 80n wrote:
> > There's a problem with the minute diffs, since 0.6, caused by large
> > changesets.  The workaround is to delay them by 30 minutes, but it's
> > possible there was missing data before the problem was fully diagnosed.
> >
> > It's a bit of a moot problem at the moment as the main XAPI server is
> > dead.  Any new servers that come up (some are being worked on) will
> > start with a clean planet so things should be much better.
> >
> Ah - so you're saying that XAPI servers work from some historical planet
> file which has subsequently been modified by applying zillions of minute
> diffs from that point in history onwards are you?
>
> So if the diff carrying info about those missing roads had got lost
> months back, those ways will remain missing on XAPI for ever (or until
> someone modifies those ways again which would presumably make them
> appear in a fresh minute diff).
>
> If this is so I could imagine it would be a good idea for each XAPI
> server to (randomly) load itself a fresh, clean planet file from time to
> time (say once a week or once a fortnight).

Steve
Yes, a full resynchronisation does get performed periodically, but not yet
routinely.

There was some discussion a while back about maintaining record counts or
checksums or something so that the integrity of any mirror database (XAPI,
TRAPI, ROMA, etc) could be verified.  It's a good idea but I don't think
anything has been done yet.

80n