[OSM-dev] A new take on the "mutable" idea

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Jun 21 14:08:30 BST 2009

On Jun 21, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> However, we'll have more and more imports like boundaries, seamarks
>> and so on, which I like to consider "mutable for people who know
>> exactly what they're doing".
>
> Is this actually a real-world problem right now, or something we
> think might
> possibly one day become one?

Legal boundaries *aren't* a real-world problem right now?  We need to
have them in OSM otherwise people will start adding them.  And yet, if
the data came from an import from the governmental body responsible
for maintaining the legal description, what justification could
anybody have for changing them (pace anarchists, but even anarchists
will recognize land registries as long as they're voluntary).

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson