[OSM-dev] A new take on the "mutable" idea

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Jun 21 15:33:05 BST 2009

On Jun 21, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Matt Amos wrote:

> we went over this before: if it isn't editable, it shouldn't be in
> OSM.

And yet state and county borders are already in OSM.

You seem to not be paying attention to my point: that if we DON'T have
these important legal boundaries in OSM, people will add them.  Don't
believe me?  Try deleting the New York State border with Pennsylvania,
and see how long it takes for somebody to revert your edit, or worse,
add it back in as a new set of nodes and ways.

Yes, I acknowledge your point about people being able to edit things,
and being able to verify things on the ground.

If (as I assert) it's not possible to keep these things out of the
map, shouldn't we take steps to ensure that when they're in the map,
they're as correct as they can be?

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson