[OSM-dev] Question running osmosis (node-key-value and way-key-value at the same time)

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Fri Jun 26 22:45:45 BST 2009

Hi,

> Well, I wanted to try to create a kind of worldwide "base map" for Navit to
> get a clue what file size this would trigger.

OK, I meanwhile got a bit further thanks to the various hints. I use the
following command:
./osmosis-0.31/bin/osmosis --read-xml file="planet.osm" --way-key-value
keyValueList="highway.motorway,highway.motorway_link,highway.motorway_junction,
highway.trunk,highway.trunk_link,highway.primary,highway.primary_link,route.ferry,
waterway.river,railway.rail,railway.narrow_gauge,landuse.forest,landuse.wood,
natural.wood,natural.water,boundary.administrative,boundary.civil"
--used-node --write-xml file="basemap.osm"

This seems to work well on smaller files (tried 24.8MB), but I tried it twice
on a true planet file, and osmosis will crash after a while (link to pastebin
log is attached). It creates the temporary files in /temp, but it seems to
fail as soon as it tries to staff the temporary file's content into the
destination file. After the crash, the latter one only contains the XML
header up to the maximum possible bounding box, but nothing else. The
temporary files are removed. The failure seems to depend on the usage
of --used-node.

So my question is if it won't work for tech limitations on such huge files
(data must fit into RAM), or if it is intended to work and I can use some
workaround.

Thanks a bunch,

ce

http://pastebin.com/m772dcebd