[OSM-dev] Deleting TIGER node tags

Stellan Lagerstrom lagerstrom at blindsight.com
Sun Jun 28 10:15:56 BST 2009

Russ Nelson wrote:
> Where the TIGER data is in good shape, they do line up exactly. I can
> point you to some examples.  Can you point me to some examples where
> they don't line up?

I think practically along every county border I have followed in
northern California. I have connected/joined hundreds of roads up.
Some still unfixed examples in NorCal:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.5677&lon=-121.5432&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.6975&lon=-122.50186&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.853751&lon=-122.401245&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.080017&lon=-120.927692&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.55852&lon=-120.57501&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=37.4335&lon=-120.89862&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
One from NM:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=35.18295&lon=-103.04354&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF
Washington:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.22859&lon=-123.48972&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
Idaho:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.35137&lon=-116.88245&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF
Oregon/Nevada:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.99973&lon=-118.11559&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF

The worst so far was the border between Santa Cruz and Santa Clara
counties along Summit rd/Skyline dr. Think sausage lakes...

Probably much of this is just the generally uneven quality of TIGER
data. Cities/counties/states clearly have differing standards as to
precision, what they consider road enough to report, how to report
freeways, how often they update; some may just not be trying very hard.
I have found several housing areas with the road grid reported at double
or half scale compared to reality. Maybe somebody did it on graph paper...

To be fair, along most boundaries, most road ends are in the same
location, so the import could have connected them; but it didn't, and so
the routing still breaks.

/Stellan